Arnold
 Eisenhower
 Nimitz
 Patton
Admin
Be Respectful - No Anger or Hostility, Thats What The Gamespy Lobby is For
21-08-2007 9:13:pm
CoffeePrince
A&A is already supported by gameranger. Were inviting more players to join in there to make the game group a lot bigger. If your interested pls pm me here to get more details for game matches thanks and have a nice day fellow generals
13-04-2014 11:23:am
Montgomery1
By good luck I found this site just before getting the game.
24-08-2011 8:10:pm
Schwieger
Glad I found this
29-07-2011 9:17:pm
WW2Freak
Dude i love the game and now a member of the website i know a lot of u guys and my other profiles on it at [Iowa]DrugMonkey, ww2freak ,and bugs bunny
07-06-2011 3:35:pm
jcrfd
Amazing information and insight of the game, thanks so much for making a wonderful source for such an awesome game like Axis & Allies..
28-05-2011 12:02:pm
penguinlover7
Awesome site! It's chock full of great A&A info! I'm so glad I found an A&A community to become a part of.
12-03-2011 5:49:pm
OwNVictoryHour
Yep Lets Get This Site and Game to new people.
27-02-2011 1:20:pm
bucs1888
We need to start advertising the game on google or somethin
23-02-2011 8:32:pm
bucs1888
This site is great i never knew about it at first
22-01-2011 11:13:pm
Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.
Shout History | ShoutBox ©

RUSSIA
[ RUSSIA ]

· Russia Strategy and Generals

AXIS-AND-ALLIES.COM: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Greece
John

Hits Total: 381

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

Last Shout: No Shouts Yet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everybody,
I' ve been playing A & A RTS for years but I' d like to see more factions. I' ve actually seen some mods that have added Canada, Italy, Netherlands and Filand - and a mod that tried to add France. Is it possible to add the good parts of all mods to one so that we have for factions to play?

If the map we have is obligary (Dec 1941), since most free nations had their administrator in london, is possible to add some more units to Gr. Britain showing their participation at the war after the occupation of their country? Can we add naval units to the custom maps?

Is it also possible to create a modified map showing the situation at Sep 1939? So that we can correctly add Italy, Netherlands and Finland and have the chance to give the appropriate region to each factions.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about modding but I'd contribute at the historical part. Sad

United States
theharkonnen

Hits Total: 13039
Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Me and Gizmotron are working on adding different factions.

I am currently on Italy and then plan to do France. I also intend to make some generic factionsthat can be used as Canada, Greece, etc. Of course, this will take time.

Gizmotron is handling China right now.

I do want to edit the WWII mode, but again, it'll take time to get to that point. Ideally, we hope that we can seperate some locations (Since Italy and Southern Europe are the same area).

If you look at the other threads, you'll see how far we've come in temrs of tech, units, generals and special ops. We have also added the deployment of battleships and carriers via special op. I'm experimenting with a naval yard as well.

Greece
John

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That would be great. Especially for China, that I think would have an interesting army roster.

If I'm not mistaken, the allied countries that fought in battlefield were Poland, British Commonwealth, France, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Yugoslavia, USSR, USA, China, Brazil and Bulgaria (from 1944).The Axis countries were Germany, Italy, Hungary, Romania, Finland and Japan. Bulgaria participated only at unsuccessfully interceptions of usaaf.

I think, with the map the game already has, it would be a pity to create canada or anzac - better having some units into the british roster. China would be good, Netherlands also, italy, Free France (if vichy france continues to be under Germany). The solution for free nations could be their capital to be London. I only don't remember if the Free French capital was at Africa, however, it' d be easier to have it at London too. Well, the WWII mode and capitals is actually A PROBLEM. Very Happy For the minor alled countries, it' d better be to create a unit or units in Gr. Britain. For instance. Greece could be represented with mountain infantry unit or / and the special operations unit of Sacred Band. Wink

Well done lads, nice job!

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to play such a mod now, then I recommend you see my post in the general discussion section concerning War Leaders: Clash of Nations. It has all these factions, Italy/France is playable, and it starts in 1939, so France still owns France, Poland owns Poland. There is even a free-for-all mode where you can chose to ally with who you wish.

For the mod, I will try to make the game start in 1939, before the war starts and before Japan owns most of China. Canada and Austrialia will be independent factions. What I will do with them is a model of how I will add all the other factions. Essentially, copy the models/skins of say Great Britain, remove the faction icons, and use them for these new factions. Then add a unique flagpole. This way I can do new factions quickly. Maybe I'll give these generic factions one or two unique units.

This also means we don't have to worry about free nations.

Of course, all this will probably take at least a year to do (Mainly do to the fact that for each model and building, we must skin around eight files, since there are skins for destroyed, disabled buildings and desert and arctic skins. It takes a good deal of time). While you wait, Gizmotron released his mod a week or so ago, which doesn't add new factions, but adds many new options for exisitng ones.

Greece
John

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, it has lots of work.

If I were you, I'd only not prepare independent factions for the members of the British Commonwealth.

United States
Gizmotron

Hits Total: 20832

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

while tempted to add Australia and Canada-- I settled for adding Australian and Canadian generals to the WW2 mode. General Simonds is Canadian and General Blamey is Australian. since many of the units and regiments would be practically identical to the existing British ones-- it makes more sense to create new 'alternate factions' that use the same basic files.

I included General Maczek, from Poland, because his army did exceptionally well in stalling the Nazi advance-- and he was an experienced Allied armored commander during the break-out from Normandy.

I like the 1939 idea-- it would give Italy control of Eastern Africa and help prevent Great Britain from devouring half of the planet every game! it would give Italy three territories instead of one! it would be the Axis equivalent of China. Wink

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is why for Canada and Austrialia, I will edit the building/unit skins, removing the British logo, and boom, new faction. I would probably add a flag post and flag to their buildings, since its easy to change.

Poland and other East Europeon countries (Finland, Greece) would use Russian buildings/units without the Russian symbols.

Romania would use German buildings/units (No king tiger though).

China should probably use Japanese buildings (Not sure if you did this Gizmotron).

Again, the factions are generic pretty much, but hey, then we have them, unlike any WWII game I know of, which tend to focus only on the major players and the worst of which only have Germany/America (so lame). Since I don't have voice sets for most of them, these factions will be in WWII mode (hopefully) and the campaign only. Italy and France I have sets for, but they are in mp3 and I need to convert them to wave. This takes time.

Italy seems so lame right now though. Most of there units are based on German designs, so I can't really make new unique models for them. I editied turret size and shape, but they looked so similiar to German units. The only exceptions to this are the artillery and at units. I will also try to make a unique Italian bomber, but they too look similiar to the German bomber.

It seems we will be making the ultimate WWII experience, nevertheless.

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I always hated how Africa was largely uncontested as well.

With Italy in one part and the French in the west, it should be interesting. Plus, no more US owned China. That one always got me, wtf were the devs thinking. And then, Japan would only attack China and always get repelled because of the uber defences in the country.

Also Gizomtron, have you experimented at all with making the animals new units? I feel the the elephants, horses, and camels could all be used in some way. Italy had calvary regiments, so why not.

Greece
John

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
while tempted to add Australia and Canada-- I settled for adding Australian and Canadian generals to the WW2 mode. General Simonds is Canadian and General Blamey is Australian. since many of the units and regiments would be practically identical to the existing British ones-- it makes more sense to create new 'alternate factions' that use the same basic files.

I included General Maczek, from Poland, because his army did exceptionally well in stalling the Nazi advance-- and he was an experienced Allied armored commander during the break-out from Normandy.

I like it since it goes along with the game's era (Dec 1941 - Aug 1945). On the other hand, I also tend to like the harkonnen's view as long as it goes for the members of the Commonwelth that had independent policies from the metropolis. Except ANZAC and Canada, could we have other similar cases?

I would disagree about the minor axis countries and allies. Most of them had anglo-french or indigenous material / organisation rather than soviet. After 1941 they tended to fully adopt either british war style or german (the second often having a bit of french colour). I propose to have two factions: The first could be similar to german faction [it could be a solution for their airforce - Bf-109 was mostly their principal fighter]. The second could be similar to UK [with Spitfire etc.]. Since they lack of modern armour, they could have a special op for captured tankettes or tanks, similar to lend - lease. In order to cover the partizans' era, maybe it's nice to have at their roster the conscript infantry.

For example, take Greece. She started the war without all the weapons she had ordered (airplanes, ships, tanks). Lacking local industry, she used plenty of general infantry, good engineers, great towed artillery and incredible mountain fighting ability. No tanks, few motorised ability, no special forces. However, she captured enemy tankettes and tanks and some mechanised equipment / aircrafts transfered from UK. Similar to lend-lease option. After 1941, she fully adopted the UK style. So and so, the same happened for Poland, Yugoslavia, Czech Rep., Belgium, Norway, Netherlands etc. Similarly, but from the German angle, things happened for Finland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Croatia etc.

France is more difficult because she used a mix of french, english and us equipment. Even soviet. Is the soviet fighter aircraft the same French pilots flied at the Eastern Front? It would be fun to have it than Spitfire. Unfortunately, they didn't fly the Mustang.

China had again a great variety of suppliers (from Germans, Italians to USA).

Just one note: for independent factions that are members of the British Commonwealth may be good to have a financial penalty in the WW II mode so that could be expressed their unity with UK. This reduction would be led as extra money to the UK's economy.

p.s: All Europeans had cavalry units, even Germany, especially till the Battle of France.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

theharkonnen wrote:
I always hated how Africa was largely uncontested as well.

With Italy in one part and the French in the west, it should be interesting. Plus, no more US owned China. That one always got me, wtf were the devs thinking. And then, Japan would only attack China and always get repelled because of the uber defences in the country.

Also Gizomtron, have you experimented at all with making the animals new units? I feel the the elephants, horses, and camels could all be used in some way. Italy had calvary regiments, so why not.

I was planning on using the mule as the basis for a supply-regiment of some sort for China. but I need to look into the damage model, and a few other things before I can really make that work. I don't want the mule to use the same damage model as human units, though.

I can understand why they had a US-owned China-- the game is clearly based in 1944 and after-- when it would make sense. some of the units available from the start of the WW2 mode weren't even available until mid to late 1944. the American SPA tank, the IS2 Stalin tank-- and a host of other units, weren't even possibly in December of 1941. but the game allows it to happen. basically, it all boils down to this: the game was created by Americans for Americans and shows the natural favoritism that one would expect for such a project.

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

That mule idea is great. It could work like my supply trucks.

Greece
John

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

As you talk about animals' units, why don't you create the dogs-bombs for USSR? Just change the mines from Goliath unit with dogs.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

the main reason I didn't include dog-bombs is that after a couple of hours worth of research it was shown that the dog 'mines' were not effective-- and were never really employed in combat. they preferred the smell of Russian diesel and tended to hide under Russian tanks instead of German ones. my solution was to create a "Suicide Truck" regiment-- while I haven't incorporated it into the game yet-- I was originally planning on using it for a generic Partisan HQ. one that was designed to look like a regullar village building in Eastern Europe.

the limit here is that we can only use existing models that can be changed with NikScope.

I haven't ruled out the possibility of using files from Kohan 2-- since from all of my research-- it would appear that it uses a very similar game engine to Axis & Allies. it might be possible to source some models and effects from there... but I haven't actually gotten that game yet to see how much can be gleaned.

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was looking through some Konan stuffs and there are no dogs that I can see.

There is calvary, though. Still, I don't think its worth the trouble. There are many animals in th database files we can add like camels, elephants, etc.

Now what would really be cool is making some doodads part of a dummy enemy faction and set the vutures to enemy. Then the vultures would attack the bodies as if they were food.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

well, the thing is, cavalry could be worth it. except that they'd probably be swinging swords instead of carrying guns! I was curious because I was thinking it would be nice to represent the Chinese Muslim Cavalry regiments-- which could be used like a recon regiment from a Heavy Infantry Division HQ. it would be faster than infantry, slower than halftracks-- and it would have an even larger detection range than regular recons. since China is going to be kinda deficient in terms of mech and armor-- I figured it was worth a look.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

John wrote:
As you talk about animals' units, why don't you create the dogs-bombs for USSR? Just change the mines from Goliath unit with dogs.

although the historicity of dog-bombs is questionable-- now that I've been investigating the inner workings of Kohan 2 (made by the same software development team)-- I see that dog-mines are now possible by using the existing wolf-model from Kohan 2. I'll have to play around with this one. basically, it could give the Russians a type of 'goliath' regiment. although the Russians certainly aren't hurting for varied regiments in my current mod. I plan on trying this out later.

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It would be interesting to use dogs as anti-infantry regiments as well. Basicly, if they get close enough, they rip the soldiers to shreds. In command and conquer, they would jump at the infantry and instant kill them.

View next topic
View previous topic