Arnold
 Eisenhower
 Nimitz
 Patton
Admin
Be Respectful - No Anger or Hostility, Thats What The Gamespy Lobby is For
21-08-2007 9:13:pm
CoffeePrince
A&A is already supported by gameranger. Were inviting more players to join in there to make the game group a lot bigger. If your interested pls pm me here to get more details for game matches thanks and have a nice day fellow generals
13-04-2014 11:23:am
Montgomery1
By good luck I found this site just before getting the game.
24-08-2011 8:10:pm
Schwieger
Glad I found this
29-07-2011 9:17:pm
WW2Freak
Dude i love the game and now a member of the website i know a lot of u guys and my other profiles on it at [Iowa]DrugMonkey, ww2freak ,and bugs bunny
07-06-2011 3:35:pm
jcrfd
Amazing information and insight of the game, thanks so much for making a wonderful source for such an awesome game like Axis & Allies..
28-05-2011 12:02:pm
penguinlover7
Awesome site! It's chock full of great A&A info! I'm so glad I found an A&A community to become a part of.
12-03-2011 5:49:pm
OwNVictoryHour
Yep Lets Get This Site and Game to new people.
27-02-2011 1:20:pm
bucs1888
We need to start advertising the game on google or somethin
23-02-2011 8:32:pm
bucs1888
This site is great i never knew about it at first
22-01-2011 11:13:pm
Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.
Shout History | ShoutBox ©

THE WEBSITE
[ THE WEBSITE ]

· Shoutbox Slider Supreme
· What are Feeds?
· Smurfs Welcome

AXIS-AND-ALLIES.COM: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
United States
Gizmotron

Hits Total: 20832

Badges 19/80 Level 056
Badges 19/80 Level 056

Last Shout: No Shouts Yet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been wondering if any of you guys have some custom maps that were particular fun or challenging to post online? I've been trying to make some maps of my own-- but I was thinking it would be cool to see what other people have done. any links would be appreciated.

Secret Location
alchemist11

Hits Total:
Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This site is pretty dead now. When i actively played this game some years ago there were alot of maps around on fileplanet and spottersguide. I should have saved them. Now all their links are dead and the maps are unobtainable. I made a superb map of the phillipine campaign once. it was so accurate when played, it was scary. The game editor feature make sit possible to do your own maps, however it is very tedious. Nice to use others creations. Seems like ppl have now moved on from the game and there's not much new out there and the old is unobtainable.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 056
Badges 19/80 Level 056

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, this site pretty much died out in terms of new posting content.

on the map-making front... I found a way to combine multiple terrain types into a new biome.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/axis-allies-uncommon-valor/images/composite-arctic-boreal-temperate-mountains#imagebox

so this opens up a lot of potential for creating new maps.

Secret Location
alchemist11

Hits Total:
Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Giz. Yea this site use to be really active. Not sure why it died but ppl move on. I like your mod in the moddb site. That is probably better than anything ever done here. My only issue with it is the WWII mode has too many countries. I'd like to limit them. Other than that it's absolutely brilliant and a huge leap ahead in the game design. I'm always impressed by ppl like you who have that level of knowledge and skill in game design.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 056
Badges 19/80 Level 056

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking about that last weekend, actually. but I have a question or two:

1. do you believe there are too many territories on the map?
(a territory is a piece of the map that can be captured or lost)

2. do you believe there are too many factions competing for the territories available?
(a faction is a nation, or group of nations that cooperates or competes with the player's nation for global domination)

3. or both of the above?

I thought about updating the old Gizmotron Mod to the Uncommon Valor standards... and just leaving the WW2 map in it's original form. that way players could have access to all of the various features of Uncommon Valor but not have to worry about as many different nations. I would probably add China and Italy into the WW2 map, though to balance out the game and make things more interesting. I felt like giving the US control of all of those Chinese territories gave it an unfair advantage in WW2. on top of all that, after spending years working on the Chinese and Italian factions I think it would be good to include them in WW2.

ALLIES
Great Britain, Soviet Union, United States, Nationalist China

AXIS
Germany, Italy, Japan

having 16 different factions competing for a larger number of territories means that WW2 games can get really long! but I think by limiting things to seven competing factions might be less intimidating and easier to manage.

Secret Location
alchemist11

Hits Total:
Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think you were moving in the right direction but maybe went a bit far. In playing the game in the old WWII mode, it was way too easy to just run units across the board. Not very realistic. I liked that you added more territories, but too many made the board too cramped and the game tedious to play. Not having alliances was a free for all and frustrating. Yea, I think keeping the alliances is important and definitely adding Italy and maybe China is good. China was militarily such a poor and frustrating ally but still took up alot of space tying up the Japanese resources.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 056
Badges 19/80 Level 056

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

one of the biggest motivations to put China into the original WW2 game is so that US players don't have to spend half of their turns defending it! sometimes I wouldn't even bother defending China because I kept having to replace the same mission over and over again.

the United States had no meaningful forces over there to begin with! historically, their primary concern was Europe-- so it made no sense from a historical or game-play perspective. on the other hand, I'm glad we have more Chinese territories now.

we probably over-did the new territories with Europe... but that's mostly because there were so many different nations compressed into a small amount of space. I wanted to try and have as many of them there as possible. right now conquering all of continental Europe means that you'll engage SIX active factions (who can deploy mobile armies) and ELEVEN defensive army factions that provide unique units and buildings. having that level of variety in conquering Europe makes the game more fun-- in my opinon. my only pet peeve is that some of the territories are very small and hard to select!

not only did we add more territories into "Uncommon Valor" we also moved the starting point of the game back by several years. that's probably overh-whelming for people who are used to the original game's starting point which essentially starts in 1942. if I do a re-release of the Gizmotron mod it will probably start at the original point of December 1941. this significantly reduces the number of factions competing for dominance.

I tried the free-for-all approach and it annoyed me. it's historically inaccurate, not the least bit realistic, and forces the game to take forever. if I want my chosen faction to be able to fight anybody and everybody I could just pick a random map in skirmish mode and do it there. I don't need this sort of hassle in the WW2 game.

honestly, I think just moving the date forward and reducing the number of competing nations will probably be good enough. we put a lot of hard work into adding some of these new territories, and I don't think I want to get rid of them now.

Secret Location
alchemist11

Hits Total:
Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

LOL I find the game can have an uncanny parallel to the real war. I believe defending China for the US was as frustrating as you describe because they did little for themselves except bog down Japanese forces and keep Japan fighting a two front war. It must have been important enough for the US that they committed their best general to oversee the Burma theatre. Trying to reduce the number of nations makes sense and then see how it plays out. I was very much into A&A until 7 years ago when i got lost in playing War Commander on facebook. Great game but wayyyy too expensive as all their games are. After 7 years and tens of thousands of dollars later which I just threw away on the stupid game, I have returned to A&A. Years ago I had made some great A&A maps, but for me moving the date earlier and investigating how the war played out in the early years with limited units and technology was more interesting. The allies either lacked resources as in ours and the British case in the far east or the Europeans lacked an effective concept of fighting a modern war, therefore my maps involved limiting the units and technologies of the opponents to see how it could be played. I made a Japanese invasion scenario with all the historically correct triggers for how the japanese actually planned the invasion and then tried to figure out if defending the Philippines was doable. With the Japanese as AI only, it was surprising how it actually played itself out so uncannily similar to the actual events. BTW what happened to all the super maps that ppl made that use to be found on fileplanet and spotters guide? I thought i had saved them all and miss them now.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 056
Badges 19/80 Level 056

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

by the time I started playing this game the community was already starting to 'die out'. there were some fun maps out there, and I might have a half-dozen buried on my computer somewhere... but most of them were not available.

the United States took no serious action to defend China against Japanese aggression. the American Volunteer Group doesn't really count on anything more than a propaganda level. they provided economic and material aid. they provided military advisors... but the sort of aid that was provided to China was nothing like what was being given to Great Britain or the Soviet Union. by the time the aid became really significant Germany was effectively doomed, it was only a matter of figuring out how soon it would surrender. there were people who campaigned to launch major aerial bombardment campaigns from China, but the Japanese navy was considered enough of a threat (via Taiwan) that they decided to abandon the idea and focus on bombing operations based in the South Pacific. it also had the advantage that the Allied navies could do a better job of protecting against Japanese counter-attacks than was possible on mainland China. there the Japanese could maintain a larger presence, reinforce their positions more quickly, and over-run Allied air bases. (which is exactly what they did with Operation Ichi-Go, the single largest Japanese offensive of the war)

the reason for the US providing aid to China was pretty straight-forward

1. they wanted China to keep Japanese forces tied down and distracted while the United States focused on Europe
2. they had reason to believe that China could be a major new economic trading partner after the war. the expectation was that the Nationalist government would continue to exist and begin importing American goods after the war.
3. when the time came for capturing Japanese occupied territories in the Pacific it was hoped that Japan would be so busy in China that they wouldn't put up a serious fight for the rest of the Pacific.

it's worth pointing out that the vast majority of Japanese troops were being deployed in occupation duties in China. the single largest offensive Japan launched during the war was against the Chinese forces, lines of communication, and Allied airfields being used to support the 'Hump' airlift. most of these troops in China were second or third rate troops. by the end of the war any remaining 'elite' troops were being sent to stop the Allied advance through the Pacific.

a lot of historians take a very dismissive and patronizing view of China's role in World War 2. it's true, that the Nationalist government was corrupt. it's also true that they could never deliver a decisive blow or contribute to victory directly. after the war Communist China went to great efforts to deny that the Nationalists had made any effort to resist Japan-- which was patently untrue.

if nothing else, the fact that 2/3rds of Japan's military might was being used to subdue China means that it did make Allied efforts to recapture the Pacific easier. people write about how the Pacific was this vicious and bloody campaign... but typically the Allies would attack with absolute superiority in terms of airpower, logistics, naval power, numbers of infantry, intelligence, and overall strategy. China was fighting a more technologically advanced nation with every economic and technological advantage that it was possible to have. it would not be unfair to say that the Chinese fighting against Japan were as comparatively outmatched as the Japanese would be against the United States later in the war. the only advantage China had was that it was an enormous country with one of the largest populations in the world. it's not for nothing that Chiang said "Japan will run out of blood before China runs out of land."

China knew they couldn't win the war by fighting like Americans... and they did well enough by their own limited standards of success. the Nationalist government was also considered about the threat of Communism after the war-- and history has proved them right. the Communists did in 4 years what Japan couldn't do in 8: topple the Nationalist government and transform the nation.

Secret Location
alchemist11

Hits Total:
Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very well articulated. When I read Stillwell's book on China he said that the Nationalists were more concerned about defeating the communists than Japan. I knew Japanese forces were tied up in China, but I didn't know that the bulk of their forces were. Japan made a huge mistake there. Yea, you were active here as I was leaving to spend my time on facebook. Last week I downloaded the maps you posted here. They were fun thank you! The ones I miss are Khalin Gol, elalamein, Battle of Alberta, Battle of Midway, Cities 6a, D-Day Big, dec41 wake island, El Duelo de las Aguilas, Final Rendition, Forest of the Ardennes (which I heavily modified for Germany's invasion of France), Invasion of Australia, Iwo Jima, jan43 guadalcanal, June44 overlord, may44 anzio, manchuria, mountain pass, the Nile, pearl harbor (the 512x512 map), stalingrado, wake Island, and Western Battle. As i look them over i realize how challenging and how much fun they were.

BTW while it seems a ghost town here, someone has to be administering the site and paying the hosting fees.

Secret Location
Sherman8likeNate

Hits Total:

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gizmotron wrote:
I've been wondering if any of you guys have some custom maps that were particular fun or challenging to post online? I've been trying to make some maps of my own-- but I was thinking it would be cool to see what other people have done. any links would be appreciated.

Axis and Allies has been sitting on my book shelf, I lost my cool custom map I made when I was a kid. Going to re-create it now for fun. Thank god I still have the CD-Key and discs to install it and everything. This map is Japan/Germany vs. Russia/UK/U.S.A. All sides start out with their capitol cities with normndy bunkers/mines/snipers/AA guns etc. The bunkers, AA guns, oil fields, ammo depots can't be destroyed but can be captured by other teams and can be used by them. Each team also has 2 battleships by their capitol cities (they can send troops down the rivers into the map by using boats)

Tokyo has a heavy jungle around it with snipers and banzai soldiers around it waiting to run out and attack you (along with jungle bunkers, mines) Berlin has a concentration camp with dead bodies all around with guards all around it. (There are some alive Ally soldiers in it, but they get executed by the Germans). If you liberate it and kill the guards, you will be left with dead bodies everywhere and sounds of gunfire and screams (kind of like its haunted). Plenty more, I just need to get to work.

Moscow (tons of soldiers everywhere and a parade will be going on in red Square), Washington, London will have unique things as well. Terrains will match each Countries area.

View next topic
View previous topic