Arnold
 Eisenhower
 Nimitz
 Patton
Admin
Be Respectful - No Anger or Hostility, Thats What The Gamespy Lobby is For
21-08-2007 9:13:pm
CoffeePrince
A&A is already supported by gameranger. Were inviting more players to join in there to make the game group a lot bigger. If your interested pls pm me here to get more details for game matches thanks and have a nice day fellow generals
13-04-2014 11:23:am
Montgomery1
By good luck I found this site just before getting the game.
24-08-2011 8:10:pm
Schwieger
Glad I found this
29-07-2011 9:17:pm
WW2Freak
Dude i love the game and now a member of the website i know a lot of u guys and my other profiles on it at [Iowa]DrugMonkey, ww2freak ,and bugs bunny
07-06-2011 3:35:pm
jcrfd
Amazing information and insight of the game, thanks so much for making a wonderful source for such an awesome game like Axis & Allies..
28-05-2011 12:02:pm
penguinlover7
Awesome site! It's chock full of great A&A info! I'm so glad I found an A&A community to become a part of.
12-03-2011 5:49:pm
OwNVictoryHour
Yep Lets Get This Site and Game to new people.
27-02-2011 1:20:pm
bucs1888
We need to start advertising the game on google or somethin
23-02-2011 8:32:pm
bucs1888
This site is great i never knew about it at first
22-01-2011 11:13:pm
Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.
Shout History | ShoutBox ©

THE WEBSITE
[ THE WEBSITE ]

· Shoutbox Slider Supreme
· What are Feeds?
· Smurfs Welcome

AXIS-AND-ALLIES.COM: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
United States
theharkonnen

Hits Total: 13039
Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

Last Shout: No Shouts Yet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This will be a tutorial on adding new territories in WWII.

Step 1: Get the model for the territory you want. I ended up splitting Eastern Europe into 4 parts. Some territories can be split using nifscope, but most need blender to edit them.

You must edit the original model so the new territory is not present, while the new model must only have the new territory.

Step 2: This consists of two sub-steps. First, open up mg_map.tgi.

a. You'll need something like this. This is actual code used. A "2" indicate changes that must be made there.

[template AustraliaNewZealandTerritory2 Template=NormalTerritoryTemplate]
{
ids = AustraliaNewZealand2
name = "New Zealand" ; The name as it appears in-game
object_ids = AustraliaNewZealand2
location = 90.806885,9.309086 ; This isn't relevant
bounds_min = 72.354218,-0.002602 ; This isn't relevant
bounds_max = 109.259552,18.620773 ; This isn't relevant
production = 2 ;How much money will the territory make
minimap_alpha = 142 ; Irrelevant
rmc_ids = mg_rmc_australianewzealand_2 ; Random map that is created when a battle occurs
rmc_defender_ids = kingdom_defender

[Link]
territory_ids = NewGuineaSolomonIslands
rmc_attacker_ids = kingdom_attacker_1

[Link]
territory_ids = Samoa
rmc_attacker_ids = kingdom_attacker_3

[Link]
territory_ids = AustraliaNewZealand
rmc_attacker_ids = kingdom_attacker_4

[ActorSlot]
location = 15,-3
}

Links tell the game what territory can attack our new terriory. You'll need to change the links in other territories so that they can attack our new one as well.

actor slot is needed to tell the game where the unit pieces will be placed on the map. First number is x coordinates, second is y coordinates. Positive numbers go right or up, negative go left or down.

b.
[Territory Template=AustraliaNewZealandTerritory2]
object_ids = mgmap_AustraliaNewZealand2

Step 3: This consists of two sub-steps. First, open up mg_territories.tgi.

a. These steps are basically for the new graphic you set up.

[template AustraliaNewZealandDoodad2 Template=AATerritoryDoodad]
{
IDS = AustraliaNewZealand2
name = "New Zealand"

[View]
{
[Aspect Template=DefaultAspect]
{
model = %s/AustraliaNewZealand2.nif
visual_radius_estimate = 20.669022
}

[Aspect Template=SelectedAspect]
{
model = %s/AustraliaNewZealand2.nif
visual_radius_estimate = 20.669022
}
}
}

b.
[Thing template=AustraliaNewZealandDoodad2]
{
IDS = mgmap_AustraliaNewZealand2

[View]
resource_prefix = WorldMap
}

In total, there are 4 coding steps. 2 in the mg_maps and 2 in the mg_territories.

To add faction control, the new territory must be added to the mg_campaign.tgi.

United States
88Nosebleed

Hits Total: 392

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I did it. I have made two new territories so far thanks to your tutorial. I have New Zealand and Southern Indian Ocean with many more to come. They work fine in WWII and RTS. I was able to incorporate the neutral water territories into the game about a year ago but all the basic formatting was there for them. Editing the NIF files and renaming them is something I never considered. I do not know how to use Blender but the Mesh in the NIF files are in good locations to construct many new territories. I edited the territories in Gimp so the appropriate nation colors show up on the WWII map territory borders. Now I am working on getting them to show up on the mini map which will take some editing in Gimp I think. I took the Uncommon Valor mod and made 14 individual nations with no allies and change the home territories around so they are all over the WWII map. What a blast you never know who you will be fighting next. You guys did a great job on that mod. I know it was time consuming.

United States
88Nosebleed

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, things are moving right along. I have 13 new territories functional in the game and I have 9 more in the works right now. This really changes things a lot in WWII mod with 14 countries. I made changes to the WWII AI and the 14 nations disperse around the map very quickly and will concentrate on you where you least expect it.

United States
theharkonnen

Hits Total: 13039
Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Surprisingly, some of the new ones we are adding can be done in nifscope only. Austria and others were already had separations in the models. Makes one wonder if they intended to add more territories and the bosses made them cut the territory number down to appeal to casual gamers, or if they simply made these individual countries as a kind of puzzle, so they had a better understanding of what goes where.

Also, I found out that bounds_min and bounds_max have to do with the placement of armies when they attack (If you use the default numbers, they will end up in the original territory location if they are too many attacking units). If you know of a way to limit the number of attacking armies, let me know. I don't exactly have a grid setup for the map, since there is no way to know if the devs used pixels, inches or whatever Eight armies attacking a small country like Estonia tends to make the game place units in other territories.

United States
88Nosebleed

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I do not know a way to limit attacking armies but it is worth looking into. Would be nice to have a limit for the smaller countries.

Yeah, looks like they did a quilted layout of the map to keep the DDS files all the same size so they could arranged them in rows and columns. Then they constructed the nif files, which makes sense.

I cannot not believe the game engine is not bogging down when all these additional territories are added. I eliminated the defense of one faction so it would be conquered right away and started the game at 1940 while I went out. It was 1952 when I got back 144 turns later and it was still running. It did bog down while deploying (Great Britain had about a hundred armies all the other capitols had been conquered but there were remnant’s of armies all over the map) but after Great Britain’s deployment the other armies had smooth movement.

United States
88Nosebleed

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tutorial To have territories change Alpha along borders with a fade affect and it will change to the color of the faction that owns it.

I use Layer Mask in Gimp there are several steps you have to follow.

I do each boarder separately North, South, East & West.

Open Gimp and Load the territories “DDS” File.

I zoom “8 to 1” then “Shrink Wrap”.

In the tool box double click the “Rectangle Select Tool” to select and bring up the “Tool Options Pop Up Box” for rectangle select now the other functions options boxes will appear as you select them.

Identify and draw a rectangle along the location of the straight border that you want the Alpha on.

Use the “Free Select Tool” to draw along the Irregular border or angular borders that you want the Alpha on.

Along the entire length of the border you want the Alpha I set my Rectangle sized at “10 pixels” wide for horizontal straight borders and “8 pixels” wide for vertical straight borders going from the border edge into the territory. Using “Free Select” tool for irregular boarders and angular boarders try to do the same you will have to eyeball the width while drawing.

Right Click in the Rectangle, Irregular border or angular border and Mouse over “Layer” in the context menu.

In the context menu fly out that now appears Mouse over “Mask”.

In the 2nd context menu fly out that now appears click on and select “Add Layer Mask”.

In the “Add Layer Mask” pop up window that now appears make sure Initialize Layer Mask “White (full opacity)” bullet is checked and the “Invert Mask” box is unchecked then click on “Add”.

Go back to the Tool Box and click on the “Blend Tool”.

In the Blend Tool Options pop up Box that now appears Set mode to “Normal”, Opacity to “100”, Gradient box “unchecked”, shape to “Linear”(for Rectangles) or shape to “Shaped (dimpled)” (for irregular borders), or shaped to “Shape (Angular)” (for angular borders), Repeat to “None”, Offset to “0.0”, Make sure the Dithering Box is “checked” and the adaptive supersampling box is “unchecked”.

Very important in the “Tool Box” bottom “Gradients panel” click on “FG to BG (RBG)” to high lite it.

Go back to your previously drawn Rectangle, Irregular border or angular border.

Place the point of your mouse on the territory’s border edge of the rectangle you will now be pulling a line across the width.

Left click your mouse and hold it down, pull a perfectly straight line from the territories border edge to the opposite side of the width of the rectangle going into the territory (10 Pixels) Horizontal or (8 pixels) vertical release your left click. You now have uncovered the Alpha for the territory with a fade affect and it will change to the color of the faction that owns it.

For irregular borders and angular borders left click your mouse and hold it down on the border edge and pull a line going into the territory release your left click. You now have uncovered the Alpha for the territory with a fade affect and it will change to the color of the faction that owns it.

Go back to your previously drawn Rectangle, Irregular border or angular border.

Right Click in the Rectangle, irregular border or angular border and Mouse over “Layer” in the context menu.

In the context menu fly out that now appears Mouse over “Mask”.

In the 2nd context menu fly out that now appears click on and select “Apply Layer Mask”.

In the tool box select the “Rectangle Select Tool”.

Left click any place on the DDS file to close and Merge the Layer Mask.

I then draw a 1 pixel thick black line along the border edge.

Now you are ready to start over for the next border.

Sounds like a lot but it is simple with practice. After doing 83 territories I can do it in my sleep.
Once you set the properties in the “Add Layer Mask” pop up you will not have to do it again this session.

Once you set the properties in the “Blend Tool Options” pop up you will not have to do it again this session unless you change between rectangle, Irregular borders and angular borders.

Good luck.

Secret Location
icemember

Hits Total:

Badges 01/80 Level 001
Badges 01/80 Level 001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

if one wanted to make spain as a territory, how does one go about it?

Would we need to use Nifscope and Blender?

View next topic
View previous topic