Arnold
 Eisenhower
 Nimitz
 Patton
Admin
Be Respectful - No Anger or Hostility, Thats What The Gamespy Lobby is For
21-08-2007 9:13:pm
CoffeePrince
A&A is already supported by gameranger. Were inviting more players to join in there to make the game group a lot bigger. If your interested pls pm me here to get more details for game matches thanks and have a nice day fellow generals
13-04-2014 11:23:am
Montgomery1
By good luck I found this site just before getting the game.
24-08-2011 8:10:pm
Schwieger
Glad I found this
29-07-2011 9:17:pm
WW2Freak
Dude i love the game and now a member of the website i know a lot of u guys and my other profiles on it at [Iowa]DrugMonkey, ww2freak ,and bugs bunny
07-06-2011 3:35:pm
jcrfd
Amazing information and insight of the game, thanks so much for making a wonderful source for such an awesome game like Axis & Allies..
28-05-2011 12:02:pm
penguinlover7
Awesome site! It's chock full of great A&A info! I'm so glad I found an A&A community to become a part of.
12-03-2011 5:49:pm
OwNVictoryHour
Yep Lets Get This Site and Game to new people.
27-02-2011 1:20:pm
bucs1888
We need to start advertising the game on google or somethin
23-02-2011 8:32:pm
bucs1888
This site is great i never knew about it at first
22-01-2011 11:13:pm
Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.
Shout History | ShoutBox ©

MULTIPLAYER
[ MULTIPLAYER ]

· Axis and Allies Ladder - Competition
· GameRanger now supports Axis and Allies RTS
· Teamspeak 3 soon to be Released?
· GameSpy Shuts Down Gaming Fan Sites

AXIS-AND-ALLIES.COM: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
United States
Gizmotron

Hits Total: 20832

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

Last Shout: No Shouts Yet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

this weekend I managed to add a new type of terrain to the game: mud. I was able to generate new modifiers for it as well.

Infantry loses 1 point off defense value
25% less resistance to armor piercing
25% less resistance to gunfire

vehicles lose 3 points off defense value
50% less resistance to armor piercing
50% less resistance to gunfire

I used very similar modifers for the existing swamp terrain. it never really made sense to me to see halftracks roaring across swamplands like they were on a paved road!

I'll have to look into making a replacement icon.

United States
theharkonnen

Hits Total: 13039
Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, which file controls how the units react to this new terrain?

ALso, nice spec ops icons. I see there are two of them there. Any more surprises?

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

the modifiers are located in properties_terrain.tgi in the Properties folder.

I'm planning on changing fordable rivers so that all units suffer a speed penalty while crossing them. that way if somebody is dashing towards a river and attempts to cross them the pursuing enemy regiments can actually pick them off even easier as they try to cross the river.

I'm hoping to add a couple of new types of terrain.

a new type of "Barren Forest" where you'll see lots of barren trees, tree stumps, and logs. presently making this sort of war-torn forest is a VERY labor-intensive affair.

I'm also hoping to make "Temperate Autumn Forest" so that the trees will look more uniformly conform to the season.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been looking into adding new resources into the WW2 mode. I've managed to create new campaign factories that produce 20 units of ammo that can be added into the random WW2 mode maps. I've also begun incoporating campaign airfields into the random maps as well. although these have no effect on the MetaGame level-- they can make the RTS-stage of the game more challenging. there are that many more resources that the player/AI can capture. economies can be strengthened much faster. you won't need to build as many depots if you can successfully capture and hold enough factories or refineries.

the campaign airfields don't provide resources-- but they do expand your zone of supply and visibility field. they'll contribute to your overall city-score.

I've changed the British and German capital provinces so that they're bristling with cities, resources, and bunkers. it always seemed strange to see that the USA, RUS, and JPN would get these densely packed and varied RMC maps while England and Germany did not. I made sure to include Berlin and London on the appropriate maps.

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

How did you add buildings to the random maps?

I always wanted to make it so that random cities could have two or even three factories/refineries. You seem to be going the whole route. I hope you upload the files one day:)

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I copied the allocation pattern for villages and then changed the actor to the new building I wanted. I had to create a special campaign factory... factories don't change sides automatically-- so I copied and pasted the existing resources factory into campaign buildings. this was the only way to make a factory change hands from one nation to another.

then I copied the language for how villages get assigned and changed the info so that it was assigning factories.

I originally had it so that it would generate 50 units of ammo-- but that was WAY too much! I also had trouble finding the right balance of factories versus cities. if I give the use-weight of factories the same as villages it will almost invariably place them together.

I'm still having trouble finding ways to control how many times a building appears on the map-- I'd like to have campaign airfields only show up every so often-- instead of being lumped together with every city!

what I'd like to do is experiment with the Normandy beach bunkers and see if I could get them allocated into the French coast map to make that more interesting in WW2 mode. I'm hoping to do the same for Iwo Jima later on.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

to clarify, if you want to change existing village layouts or add a new one.

they are located in the Templates folder.

find the file called "template_layout_"

I have to admit, that these are rather tricky because the spacing of each building is hard to figure. however, I managed to add a new "destroyed building" village into the game. it's kinda cool to hand-craft destroyed villages... but it's really nice if the game could make generic ones for you... makes it easier to customize it later.

one of the things I've considered is whether or not I could add new template layouts to reflect different types of cities. it would basically boil down to "Metropolitan" cities versus "Village" cities. territories like the Eastern United States, Germany, and Italy might have larger cities than Siberia or Western Canada. the game randomly assigns maps from the template_layout_ file. so any serious attempt to customize WW2 metagame random maps would probably require an alternate template to represent larger cities-- or cities with specific designs.

usually at the top of the file there's a special entry for capital cities like Berlin, London, or Moscow.

hope that helps.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

all fordable rivers now have a 50% speed penalty. infantry lose 1 defense value-- vehicles lose 3 defense points.

what it means is that if you can entrench infantry within guard-range of a river the enemy can send in medium tanks in waves and they'll get beaten back by entrenched infantry-- which I think makes perfect sense. river crossings were particularly vulnerable for vehicles. now you prett much need to do one of several things for every river crossing.

1. recon the other side, to avoid walking into a trap
2. provide an arty barrage or airstrike to 'clear' the opposite bank
3. move regiments in small groups to prevent all of your forces being wiped out: via special op bomb, bombardment, etc

it also means that if you can capture a fordable river crossing you can force the enemy to fight you on unfavorable terms.

I'm planning on doing something similar for pack ice.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

created some new terrain-based modifiers. all units suffer a 5 point reduction in detection range when they enter forest or jungle terrain. vehicles get the same reduction in cities. infantry, however, do not get reduced detection range in cities. all units get a 5 point detection bonus on sandy terrain. I figure infantry got TOO much of a bonus from working in forests and jungles-- so some of the natural penalties should be applied to them in the game. when it comes to cities-- I figured there are just too many real-life benefits to infantry in urban scenarios to justify giving them the same detection penalty as vehicles. infantry can always hid inside of tall buildings to spot incoming enemy forces-- and so on.

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

At this point, you seem to be an expert at this terrain stuff.

I assume anything in the modifier template can be used to affect various unit types in different terrains?

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gizmotron wrote:
created some new terrain-based modifiers. all units suffer a 5 point reduction in detection range when they enter forest or jungle terrain. vehicles get the same reduction in cities. infantry, however, do not get reduced detection range in cities. all units get a 5 point detection bonus on sandy terrain. I figure infantry got TOO much of a bonus from working in forests and jungles-- so some of the natural penalties should be applied to them in the game. when it comes to cities-- I figured there are just too many real-life benefits to infantry in urban scenarios to justify giving them the same detection penalty as vehicles. infantry can always hid inside of tall buildings to spot incoming enemy forces-- and so on.

I gave flame units a bonus attack in forests and jungles.

Also, did you successfully add terrains for roads and train tracks? Also, which file contains the crossable river. Is it the shallows or the riverfordable file?

In the other threar you mentioned tank being one of the types affected, but you also said that tanks are affected by the vehicle propery. Does this mean if I add tank types, will they get the bonuses from vehicles on top of the tank bonus?

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't added a special terrain for roads or railroad tracks yet-- but I like the idea. my concern was that since roads can pass over every type of terrain that it would be very difficult to implement consistently! with train tracks I could probably just copy the temperate shore-terrain and make it very small.

I'm going to conduct more terrain modifier tests this weekend and see what the outer limits are.

United States
theharkonnen

Badges 17/80 Level 050
Badges 17/80 Level 050

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What's the progress in this area?

btw, I think we should gave flame units a damage bonus in forest/jungle terrain.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

no progress-- coming up with ideas.

I was reading about the important of the Pripet marshes in the Russian campaigns-- and I felt like it would be a good addition to the WW2 metagame if I created a new type of Boreal Marshland (similar to the Tropical Swamp)

I also was thinking that a new type of mountain "transition" might be in order-- one where the Italian Alpini and German Gebirgsjeager troops could get a big defensive boost similar to what we see in the city and jungle terrain.

United States
Gizmotron

Badges 19/80 Level 058
Badges 19/80 Level 058

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Harko has figured out how to have terrain add periodic damage. this is really awesome, because I always wanted to do this-- but didn't think it was possible.

so now, I'm finally able to have the mud terrain inflict periodic damage on infantry and vehicles. if you need to have regiments marching through long expanses of mud terrain they will actually be more vulnerable to attack and suffer health damage as long as they're caught up in muddy terrain.

I also just finished up some test work on a new type of mountainous terrain. this would look like the regular mountain terrain textures but be would allow regular regiments to pass over it. I couldn't have it look exactly like mountains-- the game wouldn't allow adding elevation like real mountains-- but at least it will look the same.

I just successfully created two new templates so that there are two types of infantry bonus for this terrain. the descriptions below demonstrate how the two new infantry modifiers will look during game-play. the regular infantry and alpine infantry bonuses are additive-- so that alpine infantry get a bigger bonus in the mountains than regular infantry.

infantry: DV +2, +5 detection range, +20% resistance to AP and gunfire damage, speed = 1

alpine infantry: DV+4, +20 detection range, +40% resistance to AP and gunfire, +20% resistance to explosive, speed = 2.5

this means that in the new "Uncommon Valor" mod certain styles of customized maps that the elite mountain troops of France, Germany, and Italy will really be allowed to prove their worth.

I'm also beginning to develop new types of terrain that also inflict period damage.

"Treacherous Jungle", "Barren Desert", "Heavy Snow".

this periodic damage is negated providing you keep all of your regiments in a zone of supply. the longer you keep regiments in treacherous terrain and out of supply, the more damage they will suffer. it's now possible that if you entrench a regiment in one of the new "Treacherous Jungles" that they will die out if you don't periodically resupply them!

I'm planning on using the new terrain damage on more than a few Pacific Campaign SP maps.

View next topic
View previous topic